Sunday, September 12, 2010

inspiration ( :

My art making is inspired by works of those with energy and movement in their pieces. I lean towards abstraction, but also greatly appreciate very realistic works. I aspire to artists like Willem de Kooning and Gerhard Richter. In de Kooning's work, I love the movement and physicallity  and the way the viewer can tell he is not afraid of making a mistake, instead he lets his brushstrokes go whereever they would like to take him. Richter has amazing realistic work that I feel is so powerful in looking like it could be a photograph. However I am even more impressed with his abstract work, where it almost seems like all that is happening is movement of paint on a canvas. This is what I love about it. The colors and natural, organic way the paint is placed is so beautiful to me. In my work, I strive to like de Kooning and Richter, be successful in capturing the viewers attention and have them stop and stare or want to keep coming back to look again and again at my piece. I think that is the way to be most successful, to really make an impact on the viewer through the technique used along with other core fundamentals like color and form. Here are examples of de Kooning and Richter's work: 




Willem de Kooning, Woman 1, 1950-52, Oil on Canvas, 6' 3 7/8" x 58"
Gerhard Richter, Abstract painting 725-5, 1990, Oil on Canvas, 200 x 200 






No comments:

Post a Comment