Monday, September 20, 2010

What the Class thought ...

On Gregory Crewdson:

 Generally it seemed like the class agreed that Greg's work was very captivating because of its mysteriousness. The viewer wonders what has happened and what will happen next. I enjoyed how it was mentioned that his photographs are actually large scale because when I was studying him I was not keeping that information in mind. I thought the subject of his photographs and the uncertainty in them was captivating as it was and in now being aware of how large scale his photographs are I feel even more appreciative of them and feel like that makes them even more captivating. 

On Teun Hocks:

As a whole the class seemed to agree that Hocks work was very unique and had a strangeness to it, this surrealist aspect is was really grabs the viewers attention. I found it interesting that people wrote how his work was comical yet had of thoughtfulness and perhaps hopelessness. I was not thinking about tone at all when I viewed these images. The class seemed to agree that his work is like something straight out of a dream which is what I found most interesting about it. I like how some classmates noticed the similar colors in his work because that was another point I did not think to mention when I was reviewing his work. 

On Jeff Wall: 

I enjoyed how people mentioned the chaos in Wall's imagery and the different angles he uses. Some classmates seemed like he was their least favorite and I have to admit  I understand why because I don't think his work is as captivating as the work of the other artists. However I do agree with Allie that it is interesting that he describes his work as a way of telling stories without writing them down. 

On Cindy Sherman:

It seems like some where intrigued by Sherman's idea behind her work and others weren't really a fan of it. I agree that her film still style of photography is inviting because it brings the viewer into the scene without really knowing what is happening. Clearly she is making a statement, whether it makes her bold or vain, about roles of women in society.

No comments:

Post a Comment